Subject: Re: Question: 3Com Ethlink/NB
To: <>
From: None <erich@wrq.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/1998 16:36:13
     By hub I meant a Faralon (sp?) ether widget which attaches to the AUI
     port.  I've been thinking of it as a hub since that's the way I've
     used it.  At any rate, I spent maybe 10 seconds looking for the jumper
      and found it set to BNC.  I then Switched it to the other option put
     the thing back together and the ether widget (those little green
     squares with a tail... you know!) was happy.

     I now have a working, networked BSD box on my network.  Now, the
     debate begins.  Should I:

     a) Install Netatalk and try making into a printer server?

     or

     b) Set it up as an IPNAT router (instead of my Linux masquerade box)?

     Thanks a lot everyone!
     Eric Holcomb

___________________________________ $BJV?.(J _______________________________________
$B7oL>(J: Re: Question: 3Com Ethlink/NB
$BAw?.<T(J:  armenb (armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu) at internet
$BF|IU(J:    98/06/30 15:06

At 9:14 AM -0700 6/29/98, erich@wrq.com wrote:
>     Howdy,
>
>     I noticed on the supported Ethernet hardware page that the 3Com
>     Etherlink/NB has been tested on the IIci.  I decided to try it on my
>     IIcx but am having trouble with it.  My real concern is that the card
>     may be dead (I got the everything "as is" for $15).  None of the
>     indicator leds come on when I plug the thing into my hub.  In Wintel
>     land I have had to use MS-DOG utilities to switch between one cable
>     type and another on NICs that had two or three ports.  The thought
>     being that perhaps the card is set to use the BNC port rather than the
>      AUI.  Does anyone know if there is a Mac equivalent of such a thing?

Hmm, I have a "3Com Etherlink/NB" card as well. What are you talking about
"plugging into a hub"? My Etherlink/NB only has a BNC (coax) and AUI
(15-pin) connector...

In any case, the card I have has a jumper (labeled P4) which has 2
selections, either DIX or BNC. DIX activates (sends power to) the AUI port,
and BNC activates the coaxial connection. I have not tried running the card
with the jumper removed and suggest you don't either. :-)

good luck,

  - a