Subject: Re: 128-bit browser encryption (off-topic)
To: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/1998 14:39:27
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Joshua E Hope wrote:

> Does anyone know of a UNIX WWW browser which supports https:// URL's and
> 128-bit encryption? I know Netscape does, but I need a text-based browser
> which operates in the command line environment.
>
> I have lynx (Lynx Version 2.8rel.2 (1998)). Is there an add-on to lynx
> that gives it these abilities?

Yup. First you have to build SSLeay. I've used version 0.8.1 since I wanted
to build Apache-SSL as well, but you can probably use 0.9.x. For more on
SSLeay, see <URL:http://www.psy.uq.edu.au:8080/~ftp/Crypto/>

Then, you need to get and apply the SSL patches to the lynx sources. See
<URL:ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/release/ssl.html> for more info on where to
get the patch (I forget). Unfortunately, I can't seem to connect to that
server at the moment...

Finally, build lynx as you normally would and enter the wonderful world of
https...

Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>