Subject: Re: Booter problems under System 7.6.1
To: Andrew J Robbie <a.robbie@student.unimelb.edu.au>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1998 11:26:39

> Hi all,
> I'm in the process of upgrading my IIvx from MacOS 7.1.2 to 7.6.1,
> and under the new OS I can't seem to boot into NetBSD anymore.
>
> Using booter version 1.11.1, the boot log is:
>

> Logging to bootlog
> Booting...transparent = 1
> MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
> 1060592+65988+104928+166716+156764
>
> Set _boothowto to 0x0.
> Attempting to kill all running programs
> Changing Monitor settings...
> <<
>
> at which point it crashes badly (after it has sucessfully changed
> to B&W mode).

	Is the MacOs screen still displayed when it crashes?
Or has the NetBSD console cleared the screen?

>		 Neither force quit nor the hardware interrupt button
> works. It also happens with extensions off.
>
> Has anyone got any tips about how to fix this? At the moment I'm
> using a tiny mac partition which just has a 7.1 system folder and
> the booter app, but that is rather hacky.

	First, try Booter 1.11.2, as it has better error checking
in some of its MacOs calls.

	Second, make sure that all the other OS things are as they
should be (like VM off, LocalTalk disabled, et cetera).

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality is that which     |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  |  doesn't go away when you  |