Subject: quadra 630
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad J McQuinn <nuchad@gte.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1998 23:32:13
Hello all. First, my apologies if this information is addressed in an online
FAQ somewhere, but I tried and could not find it. I have a couple of questions
about the port

1) I see that the Quadra 630 is pretty much fully supported...pretty much,
except for the IDE drive it ships with. Is this still the case, or has this
been added since the last faqs were updated? My main concern is to get a drive
of _some_ kind working; I see that "onboard" SCSI is supported; I'm not totally
familiar with the terminology, but since the Q630 only has one SCSI bus, I'm
assuming this refers to both internal and external devices. Is that correct? So
I could get a cheapo SCSI-external and have NetBSD working on the 630?

2) Ethernet card support--the Q630 has (I think) a LC-style PDS slot. Is there
an ethernet card that works in this slot under NetBSD?

3) The reason I ask is that I would like to use my old Q630 as an IP router,
basically. I'm doing that now with my pmac running linux; I assume that the
setup would be similar (and possible) under NetBSD?

4) No flamewars, please, this is an honest question. It seems that the mac68k
ports for Linux, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are all pretty much at the same
state (some things work, some don't)...can anyone give me compelling reasons to
use one over the other? Things to take into account are the machine, a Quadra
630, and that I already have quite a bit of experience with Linux, on PC and
PPC. I wouldn't need a whole lot of software for the Q630, just networking
stuff msotly. Maybe a mail or http server, and I'm pretty sure apache has been
ported to m68k.

Thanks in advance to all replys,
Chad

E-Mail: Chad J McQuinn <chad@huskeralum.com>