Subject: NetBSD/Mac68k Installer - large disk problems?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1998 12:33:15
Does the NetBSD/Mac68k Installer have problems with large disks?
Or perhaps with non-SCSI I disks?

I see symptoms such as being unable to mount partitions and read/write
errors during the base install.  For example, today I tried a 4GB Quantum
SCSI drive.  I partitioned it with 100MB for root, 132MB for swap, then
two 1024MB partitions for /usr and /var (I left the rest unpartitioned).

I ran Build Devices, then created /usr and /var directories.  The command:
	mount /dev/sd1g /usr
worked, but the command:
	mount /dev/sd1d /var
failed with "Error on SCSIRead(), #5".

Okay, so I left /var as a plain directory, and proceed with the install.
The base install proceeds for a while, eventually failing with:
	Error on SCSIRead(), #5
	Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
repeated several times.

This occurs trying to install NetBSD or OpenBSD, but they use the same
installer, so that's not surprising.  I've seen the same symptoms on
a 2.1GB disk, too, but not on a 350M disk.

On the other hand, the 2.1GB and 4GB disks are UltraSCSI, so perhaps
the problem lies there?  (I suspect a disk size problem to be more
likely because, for a given disk, the base install always fails at
the same place when repeated.)

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu