Subject: Re: Newbie's OT and Package troubles
To: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
From: Tobias Weihmann <320061388897-0001@t-online.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1998 19:04:51
Hello,
>>   When using Classic Networking on the PowerMac, the PPP connection
>>   seems to work without problems. Do I need to run named to use
>>   Telnet with Open Transport? What setup do I need then?
>
>If you don't have a nameserver running, you'll have to type the CX's IP
>instead of a hostname.  If PPP is set up correctly it should work.  You

Can't I setup a hosts file for Open Transport in the OT TCP-IP panel?
What does that file do on my PowerMac?

>2.)  Log in via telnet or console, if your using csh type 'setenv
>DISPLAY=mac.running.mix.server'.  Then type 'xterm &'.  If all goes well
>you should see an xterm window under MIX on the mac, if it doesn't, it
>might be case sensitive, try display instead of DISPLAY, it's been a while
>since I've done this.  You can also tell MIX not to use it's local wm (twm)
>and then start the wm via telnet on the bsd box.

Thank you, I really works! It's great.

By the way... Do you know how to install the packages system on my IIcx?
I added a line to ld.conf.whatever about some libraries in /usr/pkg/lib
but there is no directory named /usr/pkg. Somewhere else the manuals tell
/var/.../pkg. That's kind a strange. I can find the executables, but they
don't do anything.

Thanks,
 Tobias

--
    \ ( ( (              Tobias Weihmann            ) ) ) /
     8OOOOO)        rosenkranz@geocities.com       (OOOOO8