Subject: Re: Newbie's X clients on remote server and OT troubles
To: Tobias Weihmann <320061388897-0001@t-online.de>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1998 15:07:20
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Tobias Weihmann wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm quite new to NetBSD an I try to setup my own LAN. I can already
> PPP from my PowerMac into my old IIcx running NetBSD 1.3.2. I don't
> have an ethernet connection but a serial one (printer cable). Un-
> fortunately I encountered some problems:
>
> 1, When using OpenTransport 1.3 on the PowerMac, only some clients
>    work (e.g. the ftp client fetch), but the Telnet client NCSA
>    refuses to start because "Domain could not be resolved (?).
>    Cannot use domain names." and Internal Error #300, MacOS#-23.
>    Same for all other Telnet clients (BetterTelnet...)
>
>    When using Classic Networking on the PowerMac, the PPP connection
>    seems to work without problems. Do I need to run named to use
>    Telnet with Open Transport? What setup do I need then?

Weird. What happens if you leave the domain name blank? I.E. is it OT's
upset that you have a domain name it can't resolve, or that you don't have
a domain name at all? ??

> 2. There's a free X Server called MI/X for MacOS. I want to run
>    some X clients on my IIcx using NetBSD and redirect them via
>    my PPP connection (Static IP) to the MI/X server on the PPC.
>    I read the "X terminal Howto" pages, but it does not seem to
>    work. Everytime I try "xclock -d my.mac.iicx.ip" it sais:
>    "Cannot open display:". What access setup do I have to set
>    for my NetBSD/XDM to redirect the clients to the PPP connect-
>    ion? Can I give a host name to the static IP of the PPP
>    connection is "/etc/hosts"?

Did you specify the screen? X displays are IP_ADDRESS:screen. For
instance, tanis:0 or loki:1. Under MacX, :0 and :1 are rootless windows,
and :2 and :3 are rooted (for the rooted, the window is one whole screen,
just like the monitor on a workstation, and rootless ones look like MacOS
windows). :1 and :3 are color.

Obviously MI/X can do something different with the screen numbers. :-) But
you must specify one. :0 usually is good.

Take care,

Bill