Subject: Re: Newbie's X clients on remote server and OT troubles
To: Tobias Weihmann <320061388897-0001@t-online.de>
From: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1998 18:45:06
>1, When using OpenTransport 1.3 on the PowerMac, only some clients
>   work (e.g. the ftp client fetch), but the Telnet client NCSA
>   refuses to start because "Domain could not be resolved (?).
>   Cannot use domain names." and Internal Error #300, MacOS#-23.
>   Same for all other Telnet clients (BetterTelnet...)
>
>   When using Classic Networking on the PowerMac, the PPP connection
>   seems to work without problems. Do I need to run named to use
>   Telnet with Open Transport? What setup do I need then?

If you don't have a nameserver running, you'll have to type the CX's IP
instead of a hostname.  If PPP is set up correctly it should work.  You
shouldn't need a nameserver.  I have had no problems with BetterTelnet and
IP numbers, My house is all 10BaseT though, I try to avoid using PPP and
SL/IP on a non-dialup connection, it would be a good idea to invest in a
4-port 10BaseT hub and a couple ethernet cards (10BaseT cards are dirt
cheap now and a 4-port hub is only like 80 bucks around here).

>2. There's a free X Server called MI/X for MacOS. I want to run
>   some X clients on my IIcx using NetBSD and redirect them via
>   my PPP connection (Static IP) to the MI/X server on the PPC.
>   I read the "X terminal Howto" pages, but it does not seem to
>   work. Everytime I try "xclock -d my.mac.iicx.ip" it sais:
>   "Cannot open display:". What access setup do I have to set
>   for my NetBSD/XDM to redirect the clients to the PPP connect-
>   ion? Can I give a host name to the static IP of the PPP
>   connection is "/etc/hosts"?

I run MIX with no hassles.  There are two ways to set this up:

1.)  Using xdm (a pain to set up sometimes but pretty damn cool when it works)

2.)  Log in via telnet or console, if your using csh type 'setenv
DISPLAY=mac.running.mix.server'.  Then type 'xterm &'.  If all goes well
you should see an xterm window under MIX on the mac, if it doesn't, it
might be case sensitive, try display instead of DISPLAY, it's been a while
since I've done this.  You can also tell MIX not to use it's local wm (twm)
and then start the wm via telnet on the bsd box.

	Kevin