Subject: Newbie's X clients on remote server and OT troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tobias Weihmann <320061388897-0001@t-online.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1998 23:58:50
Hello,
I'm quite new to NetBSD an I try to setup my own LAN. I can already
PPP from my PowerMac into my old IIcx running NetBSD 1.3.2. I don't
have an ethernet connection but a serial one (printer cable). Un-
fortunately I encountered some problems:

1, When using OpenTransport 1.3 on the PowerMac, only some clients
   work (e.g. the ftp client fetch), but the Telnet client NCSA
   refuses to start because "Domain could not be resolved (?).
   Cannot use domain names." and Internal Error #300, MacOS#-23.
   Same for all other Telnet clients (BetterTelnet...)

   When using Classic Networking on the PowerMac, the PPP connection
   seems to work without problems. Do I need to run named to use
   Telnet with Open Transport? What setup do I need then?

2. There's a free X Server called MI/X for MacOS. I want to run
   some X clients on my IIcx using NetBSD and redirect them via
   my PPP connection (Static IP) to the MI/X server on the PPC.
   I read the "X terminal Howto" pages, but it does not seem to
   work. Everytime I try "xclock -d my.mac.iicx.ip" it sais:
   "Cannot open display:". What access setup do I have to set
   for my NetBSD/XDM to redirect the clients to the PPP connect-
   ion? Can I give a host name to the static IP of the PPP
   connection is "/etc/hosts"?

   Does anyone have MI/X running together with NetBSD?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Tobias

--
    \ ( ( (                K. Kaefer                ) ) ) /
     8OOOOO)        rosenkranz@geocities.com       (OOOOO8