Subject: Re: 0.0.0.0 Weirdness?
To: Skeelo <skeelo@white-dwarf.dyn.ml.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1998 03:37:53
...try ping 0.0.0.0 on a multihomed host.  It's pretty clear that
-current is treating this as a broadcast address. And indeed,
in.c:in_broadcast() accepts INADDR_ANY as a broadcast.  It looks to me
like a violation of rfc1123 sec 3.3.6.  Oops.  Please send a PR.

And looking at tcpdump, -current is sending the packet out, but
unicasting it to the next-hop router (or is it just the default
route?)  Double Oops (assuming this was intended as a nonstanadard
broadcast address, per above).  Definitely send a PR.

If we do that at all, i think we have to make it configurable (via
sysctl) and rfc1123 says the option SHOULD default to using all-1s
broadcast.

(If it was up to me, i'd say its about time we gave up on 4.2BSD bugs.:->)