Subject: Re: Intvid ??
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/1998 20:00:52
>Hi everyone,
>beeing busy with my graduation I didn't have the time to follow the list
>closely. Are there any news about the internal video ?

I, too, was busy graduating and moving to my new job. :)

As far as intvid news goes: Scott and I have been working out details.
You see, I have pretty much enough info to build good drivers now but since
adding color video will require a major changes we've pretty much decided to
overhaul the video subsytem and fix all the ugliness of ages past.

Since I was finishing my Masters, graduating, and moving, I haven't done too
much with intvid in the last month or so. I should have more time to work on
it now but I've lost access to the Quadras at my university. I'll prob. pick
up a 610 and 660 dirt cheap to experiment with in the near future.

>I'd love some color X on my Q700 !! Is there anything that can be done to
>help ??

Well, if you can do "Thousands" of colors you can use color X right now.
Have a look at ftp.macbsd.com and look for the OSFA color X server. Read
the readme file several hundred times, and you'll be running color X right
now.

If you need color X in 8 bit mode, you'll have to wait for a real driver.
Besides providing 8 bit mode, the new drivers will have other nice features
such as on the fly depth/resolution switching, and power saving. Of course,
we'll need an X server that supports this stuff but once the drivers are in
place, that should be fairly simple.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill