Subject: Cabletron Ethernet Card
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Marohn <marohn@iquest.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/1998 18:51:28
Hi,

I have a Cabletron Ethernet card installed in my IIci.  After reading the
mailing list archives and a little web surfing, I have all the information
that I need except where the registers are located in the address space.

Here's the information so far:

DrSW: 0001	Cabletron Systems 1.1
DrHW: 0109	Based on a DP8390DN chip.
RAM:  16KB
Ethernet address is obtainable via the sResources.
RAM location:	FE00 0000  -- FE003FFF
		FE00 4000  -- FE00 FFFF	Mirror Image

Registers???	FE01 0000  -- FE02 FFFF

ROM		FE03 0000  -- FEFF FFFF

Mirror images are due to minimal address decoding.

I compiled a kernel with the registers starting at FE01 0000 with normal
order long word aligned and reversed order long word aligned.  The result:
device timeout when trying to ping another host on the network.

Then, I tried a kernel with the registers starting at FE02 0000 with normal
order long word aligned and reversed order long word aligned.  The result:
system hangup when trying to ping another host on the network.

Also, when I was in Macsbugs I tried the following command: sw FE010000
0000.  The result: the address FE010000 was unreachable?!?  A 'sw FE010000
FFFF' restored the address space.  This lead me to think that the registers
are located here, somewhere.  A 'sw FE020000 0000' had no noticable effect.

The big question is: where are the registers located and how?

Thanks in advance,
John

marohn@iquest.net