Subject: Re: More RAM....
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1998 16:21:49
	The 'swap = 2 * ram' rule was needed in some older unixes
	(if you didnt have enough swap you couldn't effecttively use
	all the ram!)

	Under NetBSD its just a guideline - based on the assumption a
	machine with 32MB of ram is likely to be doing much more than
	a machine with 16MB of ram.

	Pu another way a machine with 64MB ram has as pretty much
	the same total VM (virtual memory) available as one with 20MB
	ram and 44MB swap.

	In your case your effective VM is increasing from around 43
	(20ram + 25swap - some kernel space) to ~59, so unless you
	plan to be running much bigger programs, all is very much well :)

		David/absolute

 -=-  "I know its not the right thing, and I know its not the good thing"  -=-