Subject: More RAM....
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1998 19:09:21
An ad in MacWeek caught my attention recently.  A company called
MacSolutions was advertising 32 meg 72 pin simms for something on the order
of....forty bucks (give or take, these are RAM prices).

Aside from raising the though 'how cheap can this stuff go' it also raises
another--'this is cheap enough for me!'

Now the catch 22.  Machine is a Q605 (FPU), meaning that there's only I
slot, which I have filled with a 16 meg chip (total of 20).  The thirty-two
is my only option, bringing the total up to 36 megs.

However, there's the issue of swap.  I remember the install guide saying
something to the effect of "A good rule of thumb is twice physical RAM, or
at least 20 megs".  Being short on drive space, a 25 meg swap partition
seemed to be at least not too unreasonable a compromise--small drive....
It's worked well for me so far.

Big question--with 36 megs of physical ram, how much of a problem will I
run into with only a 25 meg swap partition?  Considering I don't tend to do
a lot of 'intensive' work with this machine, can I get by....or do I look
like a canidate for 'reformat-city'.  Which of course brings bummer
#2...there's only about 12-15 megs of free space there to begin with....

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu