Subject: Re: BYTE Un*x benchmark results, was: Disapointing
To: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1998 00:24:00
Woops.

On Sat, Jun 20, 1998 10:11 PM, Bruce Anderson <mailto:brucea@wavefront.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 2:20 PM, Hauke Fath
> <mailto:hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:

> > Not quite. The NuBus, if you are referring to that, is a 32Bit wide
>
> I was  referring to the I/O bus.
> (See <A HREF="http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/
> Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-68K_Desktop/
> Mac_Centris_Quadra_800.pdf">Quadra 800</A>
> Chapter 2: "Architecture" page 14 (page 26 of 96) paragraph three.)
> (See <A HREF="http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/
> Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-68K_Desktop/
> Mac_Centris_Quadra_800.pdf">Quadra 800</A>
> Chapter 2: "Architecture" page 14 (page 26 of 96) paragraph three.)

I mean
Chapter 2: "Architecture" page 22 (page 34 of 65) paragraph three.)
<A HREF="http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/
Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-68K_Desktop/Mac_LC_475_Quadra_605.pdf">Mac
LC 475</A>

> > synchronous bus clocked with 10 MHz. An extension named "NuBus90" that
> > doubles the clock rate and is present in the Quadra class machines is
> > available to extension cards but not used by the motherboard itself.
> > But this is not relevant for the benchmark in question, as all the
> > components that are needed (CPU, memory, SCSI interface) are on-board
> > and
> > more-or-less running with CPU speed.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect too much from a second level cache, either: The Q700
> > run came with a Radius 128k 2nd level cache, and according to
> > Speedometer 4
> > tests the gain is in the 0..10% range - not impressive.
> >
> > >Don't you think it could be interesting to know bytemark results
> > >of a few of our machines ?
> > >
> > >You could download it and view Linux PC results at:
> > >
> > >http://www.silkroad.com/bass/linux/
> >
> > Here we go... The machine in question is a Quadra 700 clocked with
33MHz
> > (true 68040/33), 128K 2nd level cache, 68MB RAM, 2MB VRAM, 4GB IBM
> > DCAS
> > disk. Rather top range as m68k Macintoshes go.
>
> [SNIP ]
>

> > Some annotations:
> >
> > o  Results are qualitative, at best. Running single-user, the box lost
10
> > min (that's "ten minutes") against the wall clock during the benchmark.
> > did not see the issue discussed on the web page; even systems with
> higher
> > prioritized clock interrupts than ours run at splhigh() sometimes.
> >
> > o  Some tests ("Execl throughput") were extremely sensitive to
> > optimization
> > levels. I wouldn't expect to see any effect in real life applications.
> >
> > o  This is a 1.3B kernel. -current kernels with _vfork14() and Chuck
> > Cranor's VM system may well do better.
> >
> > o  Looking at the list, the box comes out shortly behind 486DX2/66
> > machines. Disk I/O is rather weak in spite of the fast disk -- we don't
> > have busmaster DMA. Integer arithmetics are fine, mostly.
> >
> > 	hauke
> >

> > --
> > "It's never straight up and down"     (DEVO)

http://www.wavefront.com/~brucea  (updated Sunday Dec 28, 1997)
This message was created and sent using the Cyberdog Mail System