Subject: Re: Network stuff
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/20/1998 22:12:38
On Jun 19, 11:38am, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
} On Jun 19, John Nemeth wrote
} >      There's another problem.  DNS usually uses UDP.  I don't see how
} > that could work through NAT, unless the NAT implementation has special
}
} No problem: request comes from 10.0.2.15/port xxxx to 205.216.36.20/port 53
} You NAT box will remap this to a request from <you ppp adress>/port yyyy to
} 205.216.36.20/port 53. The DNS will then send back anserw from

     I realise how NAT works; but, since UDP is a connection less
protocol, sending and receiving don't need to have any kind of
correlation.  Of course, for DNS to work, it would have to behave
somewhat like a connection oriented protocol (duh!).

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel Bouyer