Subject: Re: Ethernet card death
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/20/1998 12:15:22
> Check out this nifty and interesting output from 'dmesg':
>
> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:20:ce:ac, type MacCon Ethernet, 32KB
> memory
> ae1 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:04:c4:6b, type MacCon Ethernet, 32KB
> memory
> ae2 at nubus0: address 00:00:00:00:00:00, type Farallon EtherMac II-C,
> 32KB memory
>
> I noticed this fascinating MAC address after the card in ae2 stopped
> working. Can someone surmise what might have happened to this card such
> that it reports a string of zeroes, or is this the hardware sense
> routine's way of indicating the card is just dead?

Did you have ae2 working and then change kernels?
If you just rebooted with the same kernel that was working with ae2 and
then got this, it's possible that the card's PROM got zapped somehow...
I can't think what else could have happened.
If you changed kernels, something may have changed in the way that the
card's PROM is read--I seem to recall some discussion about the Farallon
EtherMac recently.

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com