Subject: Re: Unable to get network up
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1998 12:14:09
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998 cruller@unicom.net wrote:

[problems snipped]
> After loging in as root & I run
>
> ifconfig ae0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> the network worked, but in netstat -i one of the ae0 line only had the
> first two 8-bit numbers of the address.(192.168)  So I reconfigured
> everything so my net would be of the 192.168.10.x variety. I rebooted
> and the net wouldn't come up at boot so I did:

It might have been ok; I'm not sure. A better test would have been to look
at netstat -r, I think. If the routes came up as /24, you're fine and
netstat -i was just being lazy about the last 0. If the ae0 route to its
wire came up as /16, then the mask was in there wrong.

[more snipped]

> Thanks for the networking help.
>
> One question for Bill.
>
> I got your ppp kit (works great by the by) and decided to use Pauls
> ppp-up, ppp-down ( the one that doesn't move resolv.conf around)  so I
> deleted your files renamed paul's to ppp-up, ppp-down but now they are
> no longer executable.  They are owned by root and in the group staff.  I
> can get them to fire up by typing '#:sh /etc/ppp/ppp-up'.  Why did it
> get messed up & how can I change file permissions to read -rwxr--r--?  A
> file manager (tkdesk?) I have on MkLinux allows you to click buttons to
> assign new file permisions but I couldn't find a command line
> equivalent,  I tried to 'man' an answer out of the system & my 1500 page
> unix book is at home so I didn't know what to 'man' for.

Who owned them before, and how did you move them? cp will, by default,
stick on your default permissions.

chmod u+x /etc/ppp/ppp-up

will fix the execute bit.

Take care,