Subject: Re: Network stuff
To: David Guynn <dguynn@geocities.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1998 10:12:51
On Jun 18, David Guynn wrote

> Hello everyone.
>
> Okay: this is my net:

> 	ppp0
>
> 	win95 box
> 	with NAT  ------10base-T--------ae0  Netbsd mac68k box
> 	10.0.2.16					10.0.2.15
>
> So... the NAT is configured to forward packets (the DNS) to my name server.
> The resolv.conf on the mac68k looks like:
>
> domain infi.net
> nameserver 10.0.2.16
> lookup file bind
>
> while the win95 box forwards them to 205.216.36.20, my DNS. but i ftp to a
> known host
>
> netbsd-iicx#ftp ftp.apple.com
> ftp: ftp.apple.com: Host name lookup failure
>
> And when I use a IP it says NO ROUTE TO HOST

NAT doesn't work this way. Your max68k box will send packets to the real
addresses, and NAT will change the _source_ address to your ppp0.
When the answer comes back, your NAT box will do the inverse translation
to the destination adres before forwarding it.
So here you should have
nameserver 205.216.36.20
in your resolv.conf.