Subject: Re: PPP over null modem, the Sequel
To: David Leonard <david.leonard@csee.uq.edu.au>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1998 14:53:14
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, David Leonard wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Johan Carlsson wrote:

[snip]

> > > tty00   "/usr/sbin/pppd tty00 9600 silent local lock :spock" unknown on
> > > secure
> >
> > Try adding passive?

Umm, sorry, I forgot to say that's what I tried first (passive instead of
silent). The result was *exactly* the same. BTW, if I read the man page
right the only difference between silent and passive is that silent just
waits for an LCP packet from the other side, passive sends a packet and
then starts to wait if it doesn't get an echo.

> And remove the tty00 so it doesn't daemon().

tty00   "/usr/sbin/pppd 9600 passive local lock :spock" unknown on secure
again gives the same result: "getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/tty00". I don't understand what getty has to do with what's going on
on the modem port at all.

> Or, better still, look at the 'pp' capability in gettytab

I couldn't find any pp capability on the gettytab manpage (NetBSD 1.3.2).

Oh well, I can always start pppd manually. If anyone's been able to start
pppd from /etc/ttys I'd be grateful to know how though.

/Johan