Subject: Re: Unable to get network up
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 23:58:11
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> >Please take a look & see if you notice any mistakes which would hose a
> >local e-net network.  My guess is the card isn't well behaved, however,
> >it works on the mac side fine.
> >
> >I am trying to get a IIsi running as an IPNat gateway.  The silk screen
> >on the ethernet card says its a MacCON+ (which is supported) however
> >NetBSD reports something else(see dmesg).
> >
> >The IIsi has an address of 192.168.0.1 . and anohter mac on the network
> >has an address of 192.168.0.2 both with a class C subnet mask
> >(255.255.255.0).
> >
> >When I ping 192.168.0.1 I get:
> >
> >"ping: sendto: No route to host"
> >

> since your IIsi is the network router, you're getting that message when
> your other mac is accessing your IIsi? your "other mac" is running another
> unix? try "route add default ae0" or your other mac.
>
> if you really meant you are pinging from your IIsi to 192.168.0.2, and that
> returns that error, it means that your ipnat rules are not set up to
> properly send 192.168.0.* packets over ae0. what's that file look like?
>
> >however pinging localhost works fine.
> >
> >When I bring ppp up, I can ping & ftp the real world.  I just seems the
> >local net doesn't work.
> >
> >Here are the relevant files, netstat -i, & dmesg.  The dmesg command
> >doesn't print out all the messages from the original boot mesg.  One
> >line not included in dmesg that does show up at boot says:
> >
> >configuring network interfaces: ae0.
> >#: bad value

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did a little messing around on my net problem.  I did a shutdown -h
and let it sit for a few minutes.  I restarted, all extensions off (so
the macos wouldn't try to fool w/ the card first).
The messages I got at boot were a little more clear.  It said the memory
was corrupt on the card.
I'm afraid the card might be aced!  Thanks for the help!  If you
pointers don't work tomorrow I think I'll just pull the drive and put it
in a IIcx that's sitting in the corner.

I'm sorry i don't have the real output but I'm at home & my home network
runs ip-nat juuust fine:)  I'll mail the exact dmesg w/ results to
your,Mark & Colin's helpful guidance tomorrow.

ta

GTK