Subject: Re: remove
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 21:18:15
At 17:50 Uhr +0200 17.06.1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>Chris wrote:
>> Every other list that I'm on appends a 2 or 3 line message at the bottom.
>> This is the only one that doesn't do it (Or so I've seen)  =)
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, fetchmail-friends mailing list appends to every message it sends
>> > out a notice like this:

>> > I think this can be useful for the NetBSD mailing lists as well,
>> > perhaps without the third line.  It's not much of an overhead, is it?
>
>Perhaps we should instead do something like many newsgroups (and a few
>mailing lists) do:  send out a periodic message containing unsubscribe
>instructions, mailing list etiquitte, and a pointer to useful info like
>the FAQ.  Thoughts?

I like that a lot better than the force-fed list .signature.

<rant>

I am on quite a few lists that have noise like

and still see the notoriously clueless REMOVE or UNSCRIBE messages. Face
it: there are people out there who haven't got a clue. Strange how they
managed to subscribe in the first place without taking the slightest notice
the hows and whens of the list in question.

Most of the lists you see are in some way associated to a web site. What is
more natural than ging there and looking for the way to get off?

Donkey drivers on the information highway. Ah well...

</rant>

Back to the IWM,

	hauke