Subject: Re: package manager woes II
To: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 14:39:55
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Kevin Ogden wrote:

> >Either use kerberos, or use ssh. You can get ssh for free for unix, and
> >there's already a package for it in /usr/pkgsrc. :-)
>
> I haven't screwed around with ssh yet (I might soon).  I do use Kerberos
> though.

I find both useful. Kerberos is good as you only have to type your
password once. The problem is that it's really designed for a centralized
environment. ssh is great for less-centralized security.

> I have mine set up to write everything to a file then I run tail -f
> /var/log/messages > /dev/<print device>
> /var/log/messages is my logfile, and when tail sees another line at the end
> of the file it gets printed on this cheesy dot matrix I've got.  Pretty
> soon I'm going to have all the machines send their logs to this machine and
> it will print them too.  That's going to require some creative work
> probably.  (the box the printer is on runs NetBSD/i386, not mac68k, on the
> mac it all goes to console for now and the alphas run DEC UNIX)

You can just have ssylog send things both to the log files AND to the
printer. That way, you don't worry about the tail -f getting killed.

Also, syslog can be setup to to remote/centralized logging. I think. I'm
not sure how to do it, though.

Take care,

Bill