Subject: Re: package manager woes II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 16:03:08
"Colin Wood said:"

> Keep in mind that the above is a security no-no and more or less
> deprecated.  It's almost always better to telnet in as yourself and then
> 'su' to root.  That way, you have some kind of accountability for who's
> becoming root :-)

I concur, and would like to remind newbies (I still am one :) that if
the telnet login fails with a regular user, check the permissions on
login and su.  I had a problem logging in and becoming superuser,
which was solved by making sure perms and ownership were correct.
Don't know how they got clobbered...

--
| Greg Dunn                       | And all you touch and all you see |
| GregDunn@aol.com                | Is all your life will ever be.    |