Subject: Re: package manager woes II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 16:48:18
>At 03:35 PM 6/17/98 -0000, harry wrote:
>>hello again :)
>>thanks for the help, the packages *do* install in /usr/pkg/, and i was
>>having problems because i am not used to the default korn shell.
>>
>>since there is no adduser script, i was trying my luck with the passwd
>>and group files. i don't really know what i'm doing but i understand you
>>have to add the user to the wheel group to su to root. is there any way
>>to allow root telnet logins?
>
>The group file is fairly self explanatory :)  To allow you to telnet in as
>root just mark the ttyp* devices in /etc/ttys as secure.  It should work at
>that point.

That instruction should have come with a very hefty dose of *BUT YOU SHOULD
NOT DO THAT*. That is a security risk in a big way. Personally, though, I
have an Alpha running as an IPNAT, with my Mac running MacOS (sorry
port-mac68k'ers, while I like the list, I left the fold). I marked *ONE*
ttyp as secure, and immediately upon booting the Alpha, I telnet in from
the Mac. At that point, there's no network beyond my house, so it truly is
secure. Once the Mac is telnetted in, then ttyp0 is in use, so noone else
can telnet in as root.

BTW, there is a package adduser script called addnerd. Also, in re: the
packages, make sure that you have /usr/pkg/bin in your path variable.
Qpopper, is funky and installs into /usr/pkg/libexec, so you should either
use the full path, or would need to add that to the path, too.

>>now i just have three relatively small problems:
>>
>>SNIP
>
>go into /etc and type: ./newaliases

You need neither to be in /etc, nor to add the prepending ./. The
newaliases command resides in /usr/bin.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.