Subject: Re: package manager woes II
To: harry , <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 15:27:12
At 03:35 PM 6/17/98 -0000, harry wrote:
>hello again :)
>thanks for the help, the packages *do* install in /usr/pkg/, and i was
>having problems because i am not used to the default korn shell.
>
>since there is no adduser script, i was trying my luck with the passwd
>and group files. i don't really know what i'm doing but i understand you
>have to add the user to the wheel group to su to root. is there any way
>to allow root telnet logins?

The group file is fairly self explanatory :)  To allow you to telnet in as
root just mark the ttyp* devices in /etc/ttys as secure.  It should work at
that point.

>now i just have three relatively small problems:
>
>sendmail is giving me troubles. it gets this error while booting:
>starting network daemons: sendmail...^snip^..... NOQUEUE SYSERR(root):
>hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file etc/aliases: No such file or
>directory.

go into /etc and type: ./newaliases

>pico and joe don't seem to refresh the screen properly while editing
>text.

make sure you have your console set as vt220, or the appropriate terminal
type for your serial terminal/telnet.

>all network activity goes straight to the screen. is there a way to log
>remote logins and stuff to disk? it interrupts whatever the person at the
>console is doing..

edit /etc/syslog.conf

>thanks for all the help

no problem