Subject: Re: package manager woes
To: harry <harry@chatsubo.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1998 08:59:22
harry wrote:

> i recently got NetBSD up and running on an old se/30, and i downloaded a
> bunch of packages. i then installed pkg_add (which compiled and ftped for
> days and days..still have no idea what it did).

really?  that's kinda weird.  i think doing a pkg_info will tell you
what's currently installed, tho.

> so i tried to install
> apache and lynx and qpopper and stuff (pkg_add package.tgz), but nothing
> seems to work.

i believe the have to have the binary already on your machine to do
that...is it there?

> su is also broken (i guess you guys can smell linuxers a
> mile away). any idea what i might be doing wrong, or maybe a pointer to
> an archive of this list which probably has the answers i'm looking for?

in general, i'd point you to the FAQ (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/)
but i know these aren't in there.  there is a document that fully
describes the package system available on www.netbsd.org, tho.  as for the
'su' problems, you need to be a little more specific:  how is 'su' broken?
what are you expecting it to do that it isn't?

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation