Subject: Re: HP Printer problems.
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/1998 19:08:03
At 10:04 AM -0700 6/15/98, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 vt240@www.dossin.detpub.k12.mi.us wrote:
>
>> It says on the HP website that it is possible to print to any HP LaserJet
>> Printer via the printcap file.  But nowhere does it tell you how.
>> Dow anyone know how to do this.
>
>Assuming it's on the net, give the printer an IP address. Then set up a
>printer queue on NetBSD which prints to a "remote" printer. Give this
>queue the printer's IP address for the host, and I think lp (or hp?) for
>the remote printer queue name.

If you are sending ASCII then use TEXT as the queue name.  If PostScript
then use RAW.

This assumes the printer isn't connected to a JetDirect EX Plus 3 which has
three printer ports on it.  Then the queue names are something like either
TEXT_3 or TEXT-3.

I hope you can set the IP address via front panel.  If your printer doesn't
have a front panel you can set it by telnet.

How do you telnet to a device which doesn't have an IP number yet?  The
factory default IP number is 192.0.0.192.  You're probably best off if you
disconnect from the 'net and just have your MacBSD box and the printer
connected to each other.  Then tell MacBSD that the ethernet interface is
for the 192.0.0.0 network.

The first time I did this I set the IP number for a still-unknown printer
to conflict with my own assigned number.  It took me six months to figure
out what had happened.  Every HP printer in existance starts with that IP
number, and a lot of them are only accessed via AppleTalk or PC protocols
instead of IP.