Subject: Re: Floppy driver -- state of affairs
To: Wayne Chang <wcx@earthlink.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/1998 13:08:07
Wayne Chang wrote:
> >compatibility. The only thing the internet has to say about the SWIM II is
> >that it predates the SWIM III.
>
> Look on Apple's hardware notes section at
>      http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/hardware.html
>
> for a zillion PDFs about machine-specific changes. For floppy chips, I'd
> suggest looking at the notes for the 630 series, the notes for the Classic
> II, and the Centris 610/650/Quadra 800 notes. These three notes cover
> SWIM2, Cuda, etc. etc. etc.

Unfortunately, most of Apple's technical notes following the Guide to the
Macintosh Family Hardware tend to be along the lines of "the EASC is an
enhanced version of the original ASC chip found in earlier Macintosh
models and maintains backwards compatibility with the ASC".

Needless to say, not all that useful :-(

Of course, you never know, it might actually document the SWIMII....

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation