Subject: Re: Does anyone know the REAL answer to this question??
To: patriot <patriot@primenet.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1998 17:13:10
At 8:16 AM -0500 6/15/98, patriot wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am just curious to know since I have been told many different things
>but is a IIcx suppose to be able to restart with a warm restart (after
>having already been booted up under MacOS)?  I have tried this many times
>with the 1.3 and 1.3.2 kernel and it just reboots to a blank black
>screen.  I have been told that it should be able to and that it is not
>able to.  Please help here as I am trying to have people at work help me
>(they know unix but not BSD) and then be able to restart it from work
>without having to go home and manually reboot it like I have to now.  I
>know that you cannot do a cold boot to MacBSD without it going into MacOS
>first but can you do it with a warm boot?

I have two IIcxes stacked on top of each other, both running NetBSD. At one
time they were both running version 1.3.1, but now one has been upgraded to
1.3.2. When the "reboot" or "shutdown -r now" commands are issued to these
two machines, they behave differently. One will shutdown NetBSD and then
warm reboot the computer, start MacOS, run the booter which is in the
startup items, and then start NetBSD. The other will shutdown NetBSD and
then stop with a blank black screen. I have to shut it off and then power
it back up to do a reboot. So I can reboot one from home with out going to
work to manually reboot, but I can't with the other.

My guess as to why one works and the other doesn't is the NuBus cards in
the computers, but I haven't followed up on this hunch to confirm it.

So the REAL answer to this question is that it may or may not work.

I seem to remember that somebody is working on a fix, and it may be in
-current, but I'm not running -current on these machines.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com