Subject: Re: Does anyone know the REAL answer to this question??
To: patriot <patriot@primenet.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1998 16:56:30
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am just curious to know since I have been told many different things
>but is a IIcx suppose to be able to restart with a warm restart (after
>having already been booted up under MacOS)?  I have tried this many times
>with the 1.3 and 1.3.2 kernel and it just reboots to a blank black
>screen.  I have been told that it should be able to and that it is not
>able to.  Please help here as I am trying to have people at work help me
>(they know unix but not BSD) and then be able to restart it from work
>without having to go home and manually reboot it like I have to now.  I
>know that you cannot do a cold boot to MacBSD without it going into MacOS
>first but can you do it with a warm boot?

No, you CANNOT issue a "reboot" or "shutdown -r" and get back into NetBSD
without going through MacOS. When the machine is told to reboot, it will
reboot into MacOS. You can then get it back into NetBSD. I'd suggest that
you do 1 of 2 things, since you don't seem to have need for the MacOS side:

1) Get the booter extension that someone made awhile back.

2) Put the booter in your startup items folder, and set it to autoboot.

With either of those setups, you should be able to do a reboot & be back
into NetBSD.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.