Subject: RE: Disapointing performances...
To: 'Vincent BARAT' <Vincent.Barat@alcatel.fr>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1998 06:54:33
Vincent BARAT wrote:

> Hauke Fath wrote:
> >
> > At 9:10 Uhr +0200 11.06.1998, Vincent BARAT wrote:
> > >Yesterday, I tried to run the Byte Unix Benchmark on my Centris 650
> > >(NetBSD 1.3, 68040 30 MHz, slow SCSI drive, 24 Mo).
> >
> > Got an URL?
> >

> Try this :
>
> http://www.silkroad.com/bass/linux/
>
> You will find a lot of results (from 386 to Pentium Pro)
> and the benchmark itselt (source to download and compile)...
>
> I'll be interested to know your results...

I couldn't connect to the above URL but a quick search on AltaVista gave
me this URL where I could download version 3.11 of the benchmark:

http://www.linuxnow.com/submit.html

I ran it on a selection of hardware, just for kicks. [Warning: Severe
apples and oranges filter should be applied to the following
information!]

On all platforms I simply did a 'make' and a './Run'. The platforms
tested were:

- PentiumPRO @ 180 MHz, 128 MB RAM, IDE disks, NetBSD/i386 1.3
- Pentium @ 90 MHz, 64 MB RAM, IDE disks, NetBSD/i386 1.3E (UVM,
PMAP_NEW)
- Macintosh II (M68030 @ 32 MHz accel.), 20 MB RAM, SCSI disks,
NetBSD/mac68k 1.3
- 386SX @ 16 MHz, 8 MB RAM, IDE disks, Linux 1.2.13
- MicroVAX II, 9 MB RAM, SCSI disks, NetBSD/vax 1.3E

All systems were in multi-user with little or no load.

The results can be browsed at:

http://archive.bitcon.no/byte/

Summary (of the AVERAGE results from the reports):

PPRO:   12.7
P90:     3.8
MacII:   0.5
386SX:   0.4
VAX:     0.4

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2