Subject: Re: HP Printer problems.
To: None <vt240@www.dossin.detpub.k12.mi.us>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1998 22:13:45
~

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 vt240@www.dossin.detpub.k12.mi.us wrote:

> It says on the HP website that it is possible to print to any HP LaserJet
> Printer via the printcap file.  But nowhere does it tell you how.
> Dow anyone know how to do this.

man printcap

will tell you most of it.  The basic steps are:

1)  Edit your /etc/printcap file.  For example I have:

lp|dan|GCC Technologies BLP Elite Postscript Printer:\
        :lp=/dev/tty01:br#57600:tr=\004:\
        :ms=opost,onlcr,-oxtabs,cs8,-parenb,ixon,-clocal,crtscts:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sh:

for the printer attached to my mac's printer port.  Read the printcap man
page for an explaination of this.  Note that the beginning of the indented
lines are a TAB, not spaces.

2) create the spool directory.  In this case we specified /var/spool/lpd
as the spool directory in /etc/printcap, so (as root), do:

mkdir /var/spool/lpd

3) reset the print system (not sure if this is required or not, but it
   can't hurt)

lpc down all
lpc up all

4) test it out.