Subject: identd problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1998 18:38:45
Hello,

I'm trying to get identd to work on my netbsd system. for some reason, it's
not working.  I've tried the version that comes included in the snapshot
(the one invoked from inetd) and a standalone one someone gave me awhile
ago.

To test my ident, a friend of mine told me to telnet to his MUD, so he
could turn on verbose logging and see what exactly my identd was returning
when his MUD software asked for information.  His server sent my machine
data in the form "<remote_port>, <local_port>" (according to his system),
and my identd returned an error("<remote_port> , <local_port> : ERROR :
NO-USER").  I was wondering why this was the case.

My first guess is that in.identd (standalone version) looks at the kernel's
network stuff, and that upgrading my kernel would throw off data (in which
case in.identd should return some type of error message maybe?)

My second guess would be that my NetBSD machine is so slow that it times
out....okay maybe that's not why. :-)

Any ideas? I'd really like the source to the standalone version of
in.identd too if anyone has it. I'd be perfectly happy with a userid
staticly put in the source because noone else uses this machine except me.

thanks,

  - a