Subject: Re: problem getting a Q610 up
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1998 13:30:46
Ken Nakata wrote:
> Colin Wood wrote:
> > Brad Salai wrote:
> > > I've been trying to help a friend get a Quadra 610 working as a mail server.
> > > I grabbed all the binaries, got em installed, made devices, and started 'er
> > > up.
> > >
> > > got through the boot sequence ok but at the place where it should ask for
> > > a shell, instead I got:
> > >
> > > init: fatal signal: Segmentation fault
> > >
> > > it keeps repeating the enter default shell (return for /bin/sh) and then the init
> > > fault until I power cycle.  I tried reinstalling, but not refetching base.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Any ideas on this?
> >
> > hmmmm...it sounds vaguely like what i would see when there was filesystem
> > damage, but that's a bit strange this early on in the process.  have you
> > tried reformatting and then reinstalling?
>
> It sounds like the LC040 problem.  I seem to recall Q610 is the only
> Quadra sold with LC040?

Hmmmm...maybe.  I thought that only the C610 had the 'LC040, not
Q610...but looking at my MacFacts guide, it says the FPU is optional, and
that usually means that there were some shipped with 'LC040's.  Oh well.
You're probably right, then.  So how is that bughunt going, Ken? ;-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation