Subject: Re: Almost Free Older 680x0 Macs.....
To: NetBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1998 10:22:24
At 4:01 AM -0800 6/14/98, Greg Evans wrote:
>Hi everyone...sorry to send this is I would most certainly call it SPAM
>if I received it in my email....Let me start off by saying that I am in
>no way affiliated with MacWorks or any of their associates, but I thought
>that some of you _might_ be interested....This will be my only post of
>this nature, so please don't hate me....
>
>Macworks has almost free 680x0 macs at their website, all you pay is
>shipping on most of them....here is the URL for anyone that might be
>interested.
>
>http://www.macworks.com/html/free.html

I was referred to this site earlier today by a fried of mine.

In my opinion, this page is 100% bull. It does not cost $50 to ship one of
those machines (maybe overnight), and any site that charges you $25 to PICK
UP the computer...why do you have to pay for local pickup? That makes no
sense.  Maybe they validate your parking for free, I dunno.

Additionally, the site claims "absolutely no returns", and don't warranty
their hardware, even for a day after shipping. why not? because it's free?
yeeah right!  Actually, that's probably why they are advertised as being
free - If they charged they would somehow be responsible of the computer's
working status.  This way, they can still make some money (however minimal)
and have no obligation to fix it if it doesn't work.

Personally I wouldn't buy from this site because they are probably making
money off a dishonest scheme, but if anyone else needs the hardware more
than the guilt, go ahead - NetBSD is more important than anything else ;-)

  - a