Subject: Re: I need help with compiling my first kernel
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/1998 12:05:15
On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> >I am using a FAQ that is called Creating a Custom Kernel so that I can
> >create a Kernel that will allow me to restart my machine and have it go
> >directly go in to BSD and not have to go into MacOS (right now when I
> >tell my IIcx to restart it hangs and doesn't restart untill I power it
> >off manually.  Any help???
>
> my IIcx restarts fine with the GENERICSBC#55 kernel, which is running the
> NetBSD_1.3_BETA snapshot (no time to upgrade - if it ain't broke, don't fix
> it).  It restarts fine, no manual rebooting needed (using either "shutdown
> -r now" or "reboot"). I don't see why it's not working in your case...I
> assume you have an even later version of both the kernel and snapshot.
> Does anyone else know if these "bugs" keep reappearing between snapshots?

To restart properly requires HW_DIRECT. Inspect the output of "dmesg." If
your kernel was compiled with MRG_ADB, you will see that in the adb0
probe. All you should have to do is comment out "options MRG_ADB" in the
config. IIRC, that isn't done in all the distributions, because HW_DIRECT
is newer, and hasn't worked on every machine.