Subject: Re: SCSI problems
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Ron Thompson <Wax66@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1998 20:39:12
Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> > during booting, and, if booting succeeds (sometimes it really does, I
> > swear!), I get something like:
> >
> > sd1(sbc0:1:0): medium error, info=12202 (or sometimes 82248) (decimal),
> > data= 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00
> > and something about a signal 11.
> >
> > Ugh!
> > Does someone have a kernel out there that works with this SCSI?  It's a
> > Quantum CTS160S.
>
> If you're having problems with the booter finding the kernel, then the
> MacOS drivers are having problems with this drive. Either check the
> cabling very well, or I'm afraid that "medium error" means what it looks
> like it emans; the disk's dying. :-(

Hmmmm... well, as far as MacOS having problems with the drive, would I
possibly have problems elsewhere?  I've used this drive for a couple of
years (after getting it from dad... hehe), and it hasn't given me any
problems as far as I know... I tested it thoroughly with HDT Primer, and
it seemed okay... a couple bad blocks... but nothing big...
Well, maybe I should just resign to buying something else... 8-)
Oh, and btw, it mostly only has problems finding the kernel after a bad
boot... but sometimes other times...
  -Ron