Subject: Re: Serial terminal weirdness
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1998 10:10:27
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:

> > > P.S. Using the latest Booter (version 1.11.2) serial terminal doesn't work
> > > at all for me. The boot hangs late on the MacOS side (before the boot
> > > floppy is spat out). The plot thickens ;-)
> >
> > Nigel has a new beta version (1.11.3b4 or up, I presume) out for us to
> > test.  Why not give it a try?
>
> 	1.11.3b3 actually, but it shouldn't affect this problem in any way.
>
> 	Before I start doing testing on my meager range of machines,
> has anyone else had this problem? I know that some _kernels_ do not
> cope with serial boot echo (e.g. 1.2G on a Quadra 840av), but this
> is the first I have heard of a Booter problem with serial stuff.

Ack!

Since I'm starting to have free time after my defense and the conference I
was at last week, I'll try to dig into any serial port issues. I'm in the
middle of splitting the zs driver into zs_obio and zs_nubus parts, but I
can look at other stuff too.

So what's wrong with the serial ports in either 1.3.2 or -current?

The only outstanding issue I know of is that we're sensitive to
unloaded-input-ringing much more so than we used to be. Anything else?

Take care,

Bill