Subject: Serial terminal weirdness
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1998 01:08:47
Hi,

I've been running NetBSD/mac68k GENERIC#0 quite happily on a P460 with a
serial terminal on the printer port. The monitor is a Digital VT100 (which
is just *sooo* Space: 1999 BTW ;-)

The weirdness started a few days ago when I decided to run pppd on the
modem port and by mistake fired it up on the printer port (pppd tty01
passive) which hung the machine (or rather the monitor perhaps).

When I checked ttys I discovered that getty was running on the modem port
(tty00 was on)! This misconfiguration hasn't caused any problems until I
ran pppd on tty01.

When I corrected ttys (turning tty00 off and tty01 on) to match reality
(where the VT100 is actually attached and what the Booter believes) and
rebooted things still worked fine in single user but when I exited to
multi user my typing wasn't echoed!

And no, the 'stty raw' box is *not* checked in the Booter (which is
version 1.11.0 BTW).

Can someone please clarify all this to me?

/Johan

P.S. Using the latest Booter (version 1.11.2) serial terminal doesn't work
at all for me. The boot hangs late on the MacOS side (before the boot
floppy is spat out). The plot thickens ;-)