Subject: Re: how to use dt?
To: None <rich@planet.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1998 07:21:42
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:32:26 -0400,
Rich Martin <rich@planet.com> wrote:

> Whoops, didn't make myself clear enough.
> 1. I read the docs. They barely describe the program.
> 2. I know the commands. They suggest that 'dt' replaces the standard console.
> 3. They do nothing. No mouse, no text, no prompt, no consoles, no nothing.

Probably it's having trouble mapping the frame buffer.  Similar to the
problem someone was having on his Q650@832x624x1 and X server on 1.3.2.

> Now about my colordepth. When I boot, MacOS enjoys 8-bit color. The NetBSD
> booter kicks the machine into 1-bit color when it runs.
> My resolution is always 640x480 on my fixed-sync monitor (Apple 14")
> My monitor is driven by a NuBus card. The standard console works fine with
> this graphics card - perhaps 'dt' will not work with this?

Perhaps.  Do you have space to install minimal X (xbase.tgz and
xserver.tgz)?  If so, it might give us some clues if you install X and
run it as:

startx >& x.log		# if you use csh or tcsh

startx 2> x.log		# otherwise

and show us what's in the file x.log.

Ken