Subject: Re: First boot on LC III
To: Modesto <mod@clientes.euskaltel.es>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1998 16:00:56
On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Modesto wrote:

> The trouble is on Debugging level >0
>=20
> With this configuration:
>=20
> Debugging level - 0
> Extradebugging info - checked
> No env dumps - checked
>=20
> I=B4m coming :-)
>=20
> Last words before leaving MacOS:
> Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0
>=20
> Then boots right.

I think you've stumbled onto a problem lots of folks hit, and which we
need to better document. The "Debugging" level of the booter only applies
to all the actions taking place before the NetBSD kernel starts (typically
shown by the screen turning all white). A lot of the Debugging > 0 stuff
dates back to when the booter was being first made (for instance, the
bcopy business has had the right machine code for the three years I've
been involved in NetBSD).

Admittedly, Debugging > 0 shouldn't hang as you're seeing it. However, I
don't think fixing the Debugging > 0 problem will help your boot.

Weren't you having problems just after the video got re-mapped?

Take care,

Bill