Subject: X woes
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Barry Brown <barry@tcp.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1998 09:16:30
Hello!

I am a new NetBSD/mac68k user, but an experienced SunOS and Solaris user.
Installation of NetBSD went well and I am up and running.  However,
I cannot get X to work.  When I run startx, I get a one-line message about
my monitor (memory address, resolution, and such), then nothing.  I never
get the hatched gray background.  The FAQ says that on slower machines, I
could have to wait a bit for the gray screen to appear.  I have waited up to
half an hour and never got a graphics screen.

Telnetting in from another machine, I can see that the right processes are
running: X (Xmac68k), twm, and so forth.  No errors are ever produced.
If I kill -TERM the X client with the highest PID (ie, the last one launched
by xinit), I get my shell prompt back and everything is back to normal.

It seems that X is running OK.  The only problem is I never get a graphics
screen.

I am running NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Quadra 650, 48MB RAM, 100MB swap, internal
video in 1-bit mode, 832x624 resolution on an Apple 17" monitor.  I have
installed all the X tarballs and configured the ld.so.conf file.
/usr/X11R6/bin is in my path.

Any ideas?

Barry