Subject: Re: how to use dt?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rich Martin <rich@planet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1998 10:32:26
>Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:54:03 -0400
>From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
>Subject: Re: how to use dt?
>
>At 9:17 AM -0400 6/10/98, Rich Martin wrote:
>>I hate the standard console display on my NetBSD 1.3.2 Centris 650, so I
>>tried 'dt' to see what it would do. it compiled just fine. but the docs
>>leave much to be desired, and simply invoking 'dt' from my shell prompt
>>leaves me with a blank white display. unusable console. I have to telnet in
>>from another machine and kill the 'dt' process before I can get my shell
>>prompt back. What am I doing wrong?
>>

>dt only works in 1-bit mode - be sure to have your console set to Black and
>White before running the program.  I'm not sure if you can use resolutions
>other than 640x480.
>Here's the scoop on dt (useful commands I use)
>  Command 1, Command 2, Command 3, etc.... - switches virtual consoles
>  Command O - open more consoles (you only get 2 in the beginning)
>  Command P - mouse cursor appears, allowing you to highlight text to...
>  Command C - copy and
>  Command V - paste
>  Command F - lets you change from big characters to small characters (at
>least, i think it was command f)
>It's been awhile since I've used it, there are probably other command which
>I've forgotten about.

Whoops, didn't make myself clear enough.
1. I read the docs. They barely describe the program.
2. I know the commands. They suggest that 'dt' replaces the standard console.
3. They do nothing. No mouse, no text, no prompt, no consoles, no nothing.

Now about my colordepth. When I boot, MacOS enjoys 8-bit color. The NetBSD
booter kicks the machine into 1-bit color when it runs.
My resolution is always 640x480 on my fixed-sync monitor (Apple 14")
My monitor is driven by a NuBus card. The standard console works fine with
this graphics card - perhaps 'dt' will not work with this?

  -- Rich Martin                       --= rich@planet.com =--
     Data Wrangler, Planet Interactive