Subject: Re: Boot up m68k Mac (Re: NetBSD PPC)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1998 00:48:35
"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

Henry> At 7:46 AM -0700 6/9/98, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

Henry> MacsBug has a special place in the booting sequence,
Henry> before the Extensions.  Can't say any more.

Well, I'm going to remove resource fork from it and put it
into system folder and see what happens.

Henry> I can see some advantage to avoiding licensing
Henry> issues.  I think the fake Finder is an easier
Henry> approach to understand than a fake MacsBug.

I agree, but Finder has resource fork and pease of code is
stored in it.

Henry> Don't know about anyone else, but I *like* being able
Henry> to boot a machine either MacOS or MacBSD.  Having
Henry> MacBSD live on Apple-partitioned disks is a feature,
Henry> not a bug, so having a mini-HFS partition to support
Henry> ROM booting doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Yes.  I've no intention of forcing such a hard approach on
other people.  Just alternative or from interesting:-)

Henry> I never worried about it much since you can already
Henry> make a floppy with a minimum system and the booter.
Henry> I can see the argument though, since then you could
Henry> do an install floppy for MacBSD.  That would be neat.

Machines I have (SE/30/IIci/si) are happy this way, but
later models could have problems...

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Happy Hacking!