Subject: Re: Need help with a IIcx
To: patriot <patriot@primenet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 10:12:48
patriot wrote:
> I am currently having a problem with rebooting and then the machine is
> hanging.  I reboot by putting the command "shutdown -r now" and the
> machine syncs the disks and tries to reboot but all I get is a blank
> screen and nothing more.  My only option is to turn the power off, wait a
> few seconds and then power it back up into the MacOS.  I want to be able
> to administer my machine from a remote location and if I need to update
> it then I need to be able to do that remotely.  I finally found the
> kernel source and was told that all I need to do is possibly remove some
> drivers and it should work.
>
> Anyone with any ideas that might help?

This is/was a rather long-standing problem with NetBSD on older II-series
computers that resulted from the way we mapped the ROM's in kernel memory
(at least that's how it was explained to me :-).  Scott Reynolds committed
the fix for this to -current within the last few weeks.  I back-ported his
patch to 1.3.  If you want a copy, let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation