Subject: Re: Printing
To: Joshua E Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 11:05:49
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Joshua E Hope wrote:

> I uncommented the line in /etc/printcap and changed it to tty01, however I
> get the following while trying to start lpc:
>
> unixgeek: {44} lpc start all
> lp:
> lpc: connect: No such file or directory
>         couldn't start daemon
>
> To answer your question, yes it appears to be a normal dot-matrix printer.

Ah. It's never that easy. The spool directory, and error file, have to
exist already. Either change the spool directory in /etc/printcap to
/var/spool/lpd, or type

	# mkdir /var/spool/output/lpd

then

	# touch /var/log/lpd-errs

(both as root). Now try

	# lpc

and

	lpc> restart all

once or twice to get the daemon going. You might also want to take a look
at "status," (and "help") from the lpc prompt. Once you get something
like the following, "lpr"  _might_ just work!

	lpc> status
	lp:
        	queuing is enabled
        	printing is enabled
        	no entries
        	printer idle

If now the printer reacts to "lpr", but strangely, then perhaps the
default port setting is not to it's liking. You may have to tweak the
printcap entry some more. There is a man page for printcap, but it is
fairly opaque. Of course it would help if you had the docs for the
printer, but if not, you'll have to experiment. Here's part of my printcap
entry for an Epson Stylus Pro, which is NOT a line printer, if that helps.

	:br#57600:xc#0177777:ms=-parity,ixon,-opost:

You might try variations of ms=ixon, ms=-ixon, br#19200, br#2400, etc.