Subject: Re: [ANN] NetBSD/mac68k floppy driver available
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 00:59:39
At 21:33 Uhr +0200 09.06.1998, Simon Raahauge DeSantis wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> 2. Floppy driver LKM
>> You have to be able to build your own kernels.
>> Get machdep.c-1-3-2.diff or machdep.c-1-3-E.diff from
>> "./sys/arch/mac68k/lkm/iwm" in the "iwm.tar.gz" archive, depending on your
>> kernel sources, cd to sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k and patch machdep.c. Build and
>> install the kernel (make sure it is configured with LKM -- see README).
>> Then, move IWM.o to /usr/lkm, activate loading of LKMs from /etc/rc in
>> /etc/rc.conf and create an entry for IWM.o in /etc/lkm.conf (see example).
>> Make devices like above, reboot.
>
>I made the devices and then rebooted, modload complained about the usage,
>so I dropped into single user to try to load it by hand. modload printed
>something about the address (I should've written it down but the number
>was 0x1e00000 though I'm not sure on the number of zeroes), and then the
>next line said that it had an input/output error and quit. Modstat showed
>that the module wasn't loaded.

Well, the exact wording of the error messages could help...

Things to check:
What exact version is your kernel?
You have "options LKM" in the kernel config file, as well as "options
INSECURE" if you want to attach the LKM by hand?
Did the patch apply cleanly? The patch file was generated against a 1.3.2
machdep.c, which has changed from the 1.3 one, afaik.

>I'm using a Q650 running a 1.3 custom
>kernel with the machdep.c patch applied. Is this a problem I can fix
>myself or should I send you the output from MacBSD_ROM?

That woould be interesting in any case. I expect similar difficulties as
with the Q630, but you never know...

	hauke