Subject: Re: Boot up m68k Mac (Re: NetBSD PPC)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1998 06:39:38
Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:

Hauke> At 16:46 Uhr +0200 09.06.1998, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

>> Since Hauke Fath made available floppy drive in NetBSD
>> (Cool!), it's not impossible to make self-contained
>> native NetBSD boot floppy.

Hauke> Right; but you'd have a hard time telling the
Hauke> Macintosh ROMs to seriously look at your FFS
Hauke> floppy...  it does not help you here.

Hauke> Some time ago, someone pointed out that the ROMs want
Hauke> a HFS partition out there.  So you have to have a
Hauke> MacOS style partitioning on your boot disk, at least.

Boot disk will be formatted with HFS using HFS tools, or we
can distribute pre-formatted image of it.  With this, we'll
be able to use MI tools such as crunchgen, sysinst, etc.

Hauke> Comes to mind: Why waiting till Macsbug is loaded and
Hauke> executed? I'd think the hard disk driver is loaded
Hauke> and executed much earlier. As I see it, the big road
Hauke> block is still setting up the hardware ourselves the
Hauke> way the ROM code does it. Way to go...

Well, I think that It's better way, too.  To implement this,
we should know what hard disk drivers do, but it's easier
than to do of MacsBug.

Is the way limeted only hard drive, isn't it?

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Happy Hacking!