Subject: Lisp and Kernel Panic
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/1998 17:14:01
Finding GCL a bit lacking I decided to try some other Lisp
implementations. I decided against CMUCL because the only build
instructions (I'm not sure what their problem with make is...) were
x86-centric so I tried CLISP. Three times now I have tried to run its
configure script, and three times now I have crashed. I'm not sure if it's
occured in the same place in the script all three times, but the reason
for crashing has been the same. This is the last line of output from the
script last time I ran it along with the debugger messages.

checking for working mmap... panic: enter: out of address space
Stopped at		_Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
db>

Since I can't type in the debugger despite having applied the
adb.ii.patches.diff to my 1.3 kernel I don't have a trace. I have
thirty-two megs of physical ram in this machine and 270000K of swap on two
partitions so I wouldn't think that this would cause me to run out of
memory. Does anyone have any hints for how I might fix this and build
CLISP, or help point me to a good Lisp that'll run on NetBSD?

-Simon Raahauge DeSantis